Traffic Thursday: Cheese thieves foiled after truck, car chases

Apparently, the truck was stuffed with over 30,000 pounds of cheese.
Apparently, the truck was stuffed with over 30,000 pounds of cheese. Stock photo from iStock/Getty Images.

For the love of cheese!

Three alleged cheese thieves tried to steal a truck full of … well, cheese, and abscond with it.

The trouble? The three men managed to crash the truck mid-route, north of Toronto earlier this week, and then tried to flee on foot.

Apparently, the truck was stuffed with over 30,000 pounds of cheese, which would have fetched the thieves a pretty penny.

Though police did find the truck, they couldn’t get the driver to stop.

Once the man crashed the truck on a highway off-ramp, he and his three accomplices separated; one got into his car to get away and the other two tried to get a cab. You’d think the one with his own car would at least give his co-conspirators a lift home.

All three men were nabbed by police shortly after their failed attempt to flee.

The suspects were charged with theft over $5000 and possession of property obtained by crime over $5000.

Impaired driver calls police to help him start his car

If you ever need proof that drinking can impair good judgement, this story should do it.

A young man who was apparently intoxicated, called police in King Township, Ontario, to ask their assistance in helping him start his car.

Andrew Scuglia, who resides in Richmond Hill, Ont., managed to give York Region police his location and waited for help to arrive. Police found his vehicle on the shoulder of the road. His windshield wipers were running as well, although it’s unclear whether that was by necessity.

Police proceeded to administer a breathalyzer test, which the man failed, and then arrested him.

Scuglia has been charged with one count of impaired care or control.

Saskatoon 911 operators found in “neglect of duty”

This is definitely not what you want to hear about emergency personnel.

Three Saskatchewan 911 operators have been chastised about the way they handled an emergency call about a fatal car crash.

In August, the first operator received an urgent call from one of the two drivers involved in the crash, saying the other driver was passed out in his seat. The responding operator wrongly classified the call as not very urgent.

The calls kept coming into 911, four total, and the final call was to report that the passed out driver appeared to be dead. Police got to the scene of the accident over an hour after the initial call to 911. The driver was brought to the hospital and died there.

It`s unclear whether the driver would have survived had emergency crews arrived earlier, as he had suffered a medical emergency before the crash. Saskatoon police Chief Clive Weighill still said that the operators "let down the City of Saskatoon."

Find a Lawyer