Montrealers march in tribute to the victims of the shootings by gunmen at the offices of Charlie Hebdo in Paris, in downtown Montreal, January 11, 2015. REUTERS/Christinne Muschi
Many people have reacted differently to the terrorist attacks in Paris last week. Most of us were in shock, and unfortunately, some people reacted with great anger and hatred.
One such person would be Jesse Pelletier, a man from Quebec who made a YouTube video of himself in a Joker mask saying that one Arab per week would be murdered in Quebec.
He was arrested and arraigned last week, and has been held in jail since then.
Pelletier has been charged with public incitement of hatred, hoax regarding terrorist activities, uttering threats, and possession of a false weapon.
Obviously angered by the horrific terrorist attacks perpetrated by ISIS on November 13, 2015, Pelletier stated in the video:
“So in the wake of the attacks in Paris, it’s really time to stop messing about and to intervene. So I and a group of people will intervene. Beginning next week, there will be murders all over Quebec...We have decided to take things into our own hands and to eliminate one Arab a week…”
Pelletier, who is in a wheelchair due to a congenital bone defect, is scheduled to have his bail hearing today.
Former UBC student launches human rights complaint against university
Sexual assaults in Canadian universities seem to be a common thing, unfortunately. It also seems that many schools don’t have a great system in place to handle sexual assault and harassment claims.
One such school appears to be the University of British Columbia, as per a former student.
Glynnis Kirchmaier complained to school administrators on several occasions regarding sexual misconduct of another UBC student against women on campus. She says she complained on several occasions since 2011, but that it fell on deaf ears – until now.
It’s only now that the school has taken to apologizing for their inaction in this case.
Interim President and Vice-Chancellor Martha Piper apologized to Kirchmaier and other women affected, but it’s too late.
One of the affected women, Caitlin Cunningham, spoke out at a Sunday news conference and told about her terrible experience talking to UBC about her assault: “I think I’ve been more traumatized by the process of reporting than I was traumatized by the incident of assault.”
For her part, Kirchmaier refuses to accept UBC’s apology: “UBC’s chance to do the right thing is over.”
She plans to file a human rights complaint against the school by the end of the year.
In regards to the student against whom the sexual misconduct was alleged, Kirchmaier says that the school told her he was no longer at the university.
Toronto March of Dimes manager arrested for allegedly defrauding charity of $800,000
Another Good Samaritan gone bad.
Karima Manji, a long-time property manager for the March of Dimes in Toronto, was arrested last week and charged with the following:
- Fraud over $5,000;
- Uttering forged document;
- Theft over $5,000;
- Possession of property obtained by crime over $5,000.
The March of Dimes is a community-based charity that advocates for and helps rehabilitate people who are dealing with physical disabilities.
She allegedly defrauded the charity of approximately $800,000. Her next court appearance is on December 22.